Tuesday 26 July 2011

Got my mojo back!

After feeling completely burned out and over-trained my holiday was something I was very much looking forward to.

My coach had advised me to maybe stop sparring for a week or so, just teach class but don't join in. Do something else athletic instead but no Jiu Jitsu.

Followed his advice then instead of sparring I just drilled scenarios for a couple of weeks and started to feel a little better but not much.

Whilst we were away we went over to stay with the Haueters for a couple of days so jumped into the open mat session knowing that with a couple of hours of hard sparring, it could be make or break. If I enjoyed the session then I would be ok but what if I didn't enjoy it any more?

As it turns out there was nothing to worry about, got some great training with the Garage guys, some quality black belts and some real tough brown belts so things are good again.

The moral of the story? Don't be afraid to take a little time off to step back and smell the roses.

No comments: